Wednesday, July 26, 2023

July 26, 2023


James 1: 2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV)


Testing can be looked on as a burdensome trial or an invigorating challenge.*


In my former career, it was not uncommon to face challenging – and often volatile – situations. Our mistakes had the potential to make front page news and affect others’ rights. My boss was often overwhelmed by the weight of such responsibility, but I was invigorated by it. “How will I solve this problem?” was my standard response. I didn’t look for trouble, but I met it head-on by limiting its potential and being equipped for remedial action.

I must confess that I don’t always have quite the same gung-ho attitude about my personal challenges as I did my professional ones. When James urges us to consider it joy when we face trials, he isn’t suggesting that we deny their seriousness or their existence. We endure what we must, but we look beyond the moment to the outcome. We can be joyful in the face of adversity because we know that our testing develops the perseverance required to finish the job. We look forward to the day when we are mature and complete, not lacking anything.  It will be worth it. Rejoice!


Joy doesn’t come from the trial, but by focusing on God through the trial.*


No comments:

Post a Comment