Saturday, July 22, 2023

July 22, 2023


Romans 14: 17-19 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. (NIV)


We know the correct doctrines, the right methods and the proper dos and don’ts. But we may not see the poverty of our own spiritual character.*


I admit it. I am judgmental. When people don’t meet my expectations or conform to my standards, I think things about them – especially if it’s a fellow Christian. What happens next usually goes one of two ways: 1) I just quit thinking about it; 2) I learn more about their “story” and begin to develop some Christlike compassion for them. 

In this passage, Paul is not referring to how we should treat a brother or sister who is openly sinning – there are other passages that detail proper procedure for that. Here, he addresses the biggest stumbling block for us judgmental types: appropriate versus inappropriate behavior. The controversy du jour for the Roman Christians was food – the clean and the unclean, and what was permissible for consumption – but we know lots of modern-day equivalents in our culture. Here’s the thing, says Paul. The kingdom of God is not about these things. It is a matter of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. It is about serving Christ and pleasing God. It is our job to make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification. 

So what does that mean to me when I’ve got my judgment on? I think it means I need to determine the appropriateness (or not) of my attitude and behavior. Where is the righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit? Am I serving Christ and pleasing God? Just how dedicated am I to peace and mutual edification? Judge that, sister!


We do not have a right to do some things that we have a right to do.*



No comments:

Post a Comment