Monday, October 2, 2023

October 2, 2023


I Corinthians 12: 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. (NIV)


From the moment we are saved, God no longer views us just as individuals. We are now part of the body.*


On more than one occasion, I have gone to the dentist due to tooth pain only to find out that I had a sinus infection. My sinuses weren’t hurting but they were in need of antibiotics. Curing my sinus infection also cured my toothache. Pain that is perceived at a location other than the site of the actual stimulus is known as “referred pain.” I believe that something similar occurs in the church.

Paul says that when one part of the body suffers, every part suffers along with it. If you hurt, your brothers and sisters hurt with you. We think of this in terms of personal problems such as illness, dysfunctional families, or financial worries, where the sufferer is fully aware of his pain. But sometimes we see the conditions that are festering in an oblivious member of the body, and we hurt for them and for the damage this can cause to the entire body.

Do you know someone who refuses to forgive a person in their life and sees nothing wrong with it, who in fact believes it is their right to carry a grudge for the wrong done to them? How about that friend whose marriage is in trouble but who is unaware that her actions are the root of the problem? The family whose children are out of control but the parents don’t see how they are at fault for never disciplining their children . . . The list goes on. And what can we do to help stem the spread of infection to the rest of the body?

Pray. Pray fervently. Pray specifically. Pray with a heart that is willing to be God’s instrument for relieving the body’s “referred pain.” The three examples I used above are real situations that I have encountered in our church fellowship. God did not use me directly to deal with any of them but I have been privileged to be part of the “support staff,” praying for the ones he called for the job. And now I get to be a part of the rejoicing team because when one part is honored, every part has cause to celebrate.


The healthiest body is the one that feels the pain of its weakest parts.*


No comments:

Post a Comment