Sunday, October 1, 2023

October 1, 2023


Romans 8: 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV)


God does not bring all things together for our good so that we might be comfortable.*


While this may be one of the most encouraging verses found in the Bible, it is also probably one of the most misunderstood. Paul doesn’t say – or even imply – that “everything happens for a reason.”  And it isn’t a promise that everyone’s life is going to turn out okay – not even for Christians.

I see some thought-provoking subtexts embedded in the message. Keep in mind that these are my thoughts and you should examine the scripture for yourself.
This is a promise that God will be present and working in everything that happens to us. I don't believe it applies to any of our willfully disobedient actions.
  • I hear God’s whispered urging: “Give me time. I am working all things out for your good. Wait.”
  • I do not hear: “Worry. Expect everything to happen right now. Work harder on it yourself.”
  • I don’t think there is any distinction between “those who love him” and those “who have been called according to his purpose.” It is two ways to describe the same person.
  • “The good” that God is working on is our salvation, not a “happily ever after” on earth. Some Christians are called to suffer long miserable lives, some to martyrdom. But we know, from other passages, that God has made other promises to those whose ministry leads them to such physical deprivation.
I hope I haven’t robbed you of the comfort that this verse has always brought you. By eliminating some common misconceptions, I believe we can be more encouraged by Paul’s words. Let’s face it: we’ve all experienced moments where we questioned whether things really are working out for our good. Many senseless, heart-breaking things happen to us. Those are the times when we need to look to God’s promises that he will never leave us alone, that he will provide us with the peace that surpasses human understanding. 

In the midst of the worst, we can take comfort in knowing that God is in charge of the ultimate outcome. His Son died to ensure that everything does work out for our good.


The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.*


No comments:

Post a Comment