Sunday, October 15, 2023

October 15, 2023


Galatians 1: 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. (NIV)


If we try to please everyone, and follow anyone, we’re sure to upset someone, and satisfy no one.*


Even people who claim not to care what other people think of them really care about it on some level. I think what they mean is, “I’m not going to let what other people think of me influence what I do.” It would be nice to be able to hold firm to that principle, but it is hard not to bow to the god of public opinion. I think we forget that right and wrong are not determined by a majority vote.

Is it wrong to care about the good opinion of others? Trying to tailor our behavior to please others can turn us into servants of men, rather than servants of Christ; but I would suggest that caring is not wrong as long as trying to please other people is never more important than trying to please God. Caring what others think can prevent our right-doing from becoming self-righteous and judgmental and obnoxious.

Look to the life of Jesus and learn: By his actions he gently proclaimed that he loved people and that he wanted them to love him in return. His attitude never screamed, “I don’t care what you think of me.” But pleasing God was his first priority – without compromise. Follow his example and be a servant of Christ, not a slave to public opinion.


Why be slaves to others’ expectations? Christians live for an audience of one.*


No comments:

Post a Comment