Friday, August 4, 2023

August 4, 2023


Luke 1: 30-33 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.” (NIV)


In order to have peace in the present, we must have confidence in the future.*


This angel could have begun his monologue with, “I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news. Which do you want first?” So, for the bad news, Mary: “You are going to be an unwed mother.” Under normal circumstances, he might as well have said, “Your life is ruined.” But these were not normal circumstances – and that was the good news. This baby – unplanned and hard to explain – was going to make it up to her by saving the world.

My pregnancy was not announced to me by an angel, and I was married, but it still was not the best news I had ever received. I was never very good with kids and my marriage was dysfunctional. Then I found out I was having twins . . . The months of my pregnancy and the first year of my boys’ lives were full of some very dark days and nights, but God never left me to face them alone. Not once did I doubt his presence. Never did I wonder if it was going to be worth it because being chosen to be Jake and Will’s mom was the best thing that has ever happened to me.

My bad news/good news scenario, like Mary’s, was typical of how God works in our lives. In order to reap the blessings in the future, we must endure the trials of the present. Are you in the midst of a crisis? Is your life ruined? Hang on to God’s promises; cling to his presence as his will for your life unfolds. It will be worth it – for eternity. Just ask Mary!


May we see Him in our circumstances. Then others will see Him in our lives.*


No comments:

Post a Comment