Tuesday, March 21, 2023

March 21, 2023


John 16: 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (NIV)


The only way to avoid troubles in life is to die!*


When my friend got word that he would be out of job in a couple of weeks, he was taken by surprise. He said, “I can honestly say I didn’t see that coming.” But he added, “I can look back now and see that there were signs, but I couldn’t see them then.” Jesus’ disciples might use a similar excuse sometime in the future when they are surprised by trials and persecution – except Jesus warned them very plainly: I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news.

First he gave them the bad news: You’re going to have trouble. He didn’t just hint at trouble. He didn’t deliver vague warnings. If they didn’t see it coming, they weren’t listening.

But the good news is so much more good than the bad news is bad. He didn’t say, “Hang in there. I am going to overcome the world.” That would be like my friend’s boss saying to him, “We’re laying you off; but take heart. You’ll get a new job. Someday.” No. Jesus said, “I have overcome the world.” Already done. As if the boss had said, “We don’t need you in this job anymore; but take heart. Here’s a better one – starting now.”

Next time you have trouble, remind yourself that Jesus has already overcome the world. Your problem is already solved. Take heart – in him you will have peace until you finally see what you didn’t see coming!


True faith relies on God and believes before seeing.*


No comments:

Post a Comment