Sunday, January 22, 2023

Be Still - January 22, 2023


Luke 23: 12 That day Herod and Pilate became friends – before this they had been enemies. (NIV)


Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?*


Years ago there was a young woman in our church that I just couldn’t like. I kept my feelings to myself – especially since everyone else seemed to like her just fine, and truly, she had never done anything to me. But one day, while standing in line to sign the guest registry at a wedding, I watched her as she bustled around importantly and I wondered (in a rather snarky way) what exactly was her official capacity at this event. For some reason, I turned to the woman behind me in line, made eye contact with her, and almost in unison, we both said, “What is she doing?” We never ever spoke of that little moment, but the friendship begun that day has lasted for more than 25 years!

It is not unusual for people and nations to bond over a common enemy. Herod and Pilate were living proof that old animosities can be forgotten when you hate the same person or support the same cause. So, I wonder: if former enemies can put aside their differences to unite for a mutual purpose, why can’t Christians present a united front to the world? After all, we have a common enemy: Satan.

Satan wants us to forget everything Jesus said about loving our neighbor. He doesn’t want us to read Paul’s reminder in Ephesians 4: 3-6: “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit . . . There is one body and one Spirit – just as you were called to one hope when you were called – one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.”

The unity of believers is so important that Jesus prayed for it (John 17: 21, 23). With so much to draw us together, how can we let differences weaken our solidarity and allow Satan the victory? 


It is not agreement that unites us; it is the love of God in Christ.*


No comments:

Post a Comment