Saturday, April 22, 2023

April 22, 2023


I Corinthians 7: 17 Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. (NIV)


When we focus on what we can’t do, we often fail to do the one thing God created us to do.*


When I lost my job, it felt as if I had lost my purpose. I couldn’t find another job – and finally quit looking. I took on a couple of part-time jobs along the way, said “yes” to some volunteer opportunities, but I was still troubled by the nagging notion that God expected more from me. I prayed about it and God answered, but I couldn’t get past my mindset that when God calls you, he calls you to something you don’t really want to do. (Where did that idea come from??) So when I asked, “What do you want me to do?” and he answered, “Write,” I tuned him out – for a long time. Now I get it and I am thankful to know that he calls me to joyful service! 

But then one day, it occurred to me that maybe I had heard him wrong after all. When I asked, “What do you want me to do?” perhaps his answer wasn’t “Write!” but “Right!” I have decided that both answers are . . . right. His specific call to me was, “Write.” His overarching call to all of us is, “Right.” He wants us to do the right thing in every situation. Doing the right thing does not always lead to popularity or happy endings but it is always the right thing to do. 

Paul reminds us that God has called us to live a holy life (I Thessalonians 4: 7 and II Timothy 1: 9). We can’t be holy if we are making the choice to do wrong, no matter the circumstances. Have you asked God to reveal your calling? If you are one of those people who uses apostrophes indiscriminately, and you don’t know the difference between “their” and “there,” then chances are you heard him say “Right” rather than “Write.” His specific call to you will probably correspond with your natural talents and interests.* Right?


As we do what we love to show others God’s love, we find spiritual fulfillment and renewal.*



No comments:

Post a Comment