Monday, December 25, 2023

December 25, 2023


Matthew 10: 34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” (NIV)


Christ came to bring peace on earth, but not in an immediate magical way.*


Often, when I read Jesus’ words, I am a little puzzled and I have to ask myself, What is he talking about? For example, his declaration here seems contradictory to his whole purpose. Did not Isaiah predict that the Messiah would be known as the Prince of Peace (9: 6)? Didn’t the angels at his birth promise peace to men on whom his favor rests? (Luke 2: 14) Did the prophets and the angels get it wrong? 

I find it very helpful to consult Bible commentaries when I am confronted with a puzzling passage. I don’t always agree with their conclusions – although I acknowledge the superior knowledge and wisdom of these scholars – but they provide context that helps me to form my own theory. I am especially thankful for those who possess understanding of the nuances of the original language of the Bible. Here are some points of (possible) clarification that I gleaned from my research into this verse: 
  • The word translated as “earth” should have been rendered “land.” Jesus was disabusing the Jews of the idea that the Messiah’s purpose was to bring peace and prosperity to them alone and not to the world at large. He wasn’t coming to deliver them from the Roman sword but to use the Roman sword to “cut off a disobedient and rebellious nation.”* 
  • The sword was not his purpose but the result of it. Jesus preached love but mankind does not always respond well to his message. How often in human history has war been the cost of peace? Religion – Christianity in particular – has historically been the “great separating influence in the world.”* 
  • The gospel, symbolically referred to as a sword, divides and separates. Hardly a peaceful notion. 
Satan has seen to it that the religion of love is not free to “propagate itself quietly and peaceably.”* But we can rest on Jesus’ promises: 
  • “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14: 27) 
  • “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16: 33) 
On this day when we sing about peace on earth, let’s remember that Jesus, the Prince of Peace, has won the war.


The facts of Christmas, rhymed in carols, recited by children in church plays, illustrated on cards, have become so familiar that it is easy to miss the message behind the facts.*


No comments:

Post a Comment