Tuesday, December 12, 2023

December 12, 2023


Matthew 20: 1-15 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard. About nine in the morning he went out and saw others . . . in the marketplace . . . He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ . . . He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others . . . He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’ When evening came, the owner . . . said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’ The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. . . they began to grumble against the landowner. ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’ But he answered . . . ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. . . Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ (NIV)


I must hold to revealed truth, but also allow God to be greater than my understanding of him.*


It troubles me that there are Christians who have a different interpretation than I do about what the Bible says about how to be saved. If I’m right, then they are wrong and they are lost. And if that is the case, how is it that they can claim to love Jesus and have a relationship with him? Who is answering their prayers? What is the source of their joy? In whom have they placed their faith? And, how does this parable help answer my concerns?

In Jesus’ story, the workers who were hired first were told how much they were going to get paid for the day, and they accepted the terms. I know what God has revealed to me about my salvation and about my responsibility to share that gospel to others. I accept his terms. The first workers grumbled because all the subsequent hires received the same wages that they did. Do I have the right to grumble if it turns out that I will be sharing eternity with souls who interpreted scripture differently than I?

This parable doesn't provide answers to my questions. It only points out this: it is not my problem to solve. I know what my responsibility is and I will be held accountable if I fail to meet the terms. God owns the vineyard and he has the right to do what he wants with it. Should I be envious because he is generous? No. I accept the terms of salvation as spelled out to me. Very generous terms, I might add.


No man has the right to question or resent the outpouring of God's love in saving . . .  any man, from sin and destruction.*


No comments:

Post a Comment