Saturday, November 25, 2023

November 25, 2023


John 14: 4 “You know the way to the place where I am going.” (NIV)


Jesus rarely told people exactly what they were expecting to hear.*


After living in Florida for more than 40 years, I very well know that Interstate 75 is the way back to my native state of Kentucky. Perhaps three years was not enough time for the disciples to catch on that Jesus was the Way to the place he was going. 

Thomas voiced the question that everyone else was too embarrassed to ask: “We don’t know where you’re going, so how can we know the way?” (verse 5) Imagine if I-75 could hear and speak, and I asked, “How do I get to Kentucky from here?” Would there not be some hint of exasperation in the answer? Maybe Jesus was a little bit perturbed when he replied, “I am the way . . . No one comes to the Father except through me . . . If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.” (verses 6 and 7) Had they not been listening?

In John chapter 14, we see Jesus trying to prepare his disciples for his departure. How comforting his words would have been if they had understood where he was going and that they would be joining him there as soon as he had it ready. What about us? We can quote Jesus: “I am the way,” he said. We know he has gone to heaven to prepare it for us. But do we believe that heaven is a real place, the same way we believe that Yellowstone National Park is a real place when we plan a trip there? Do we consult an atlas or a GPS to find the way there or do we think we can just pick any road to get us to our destination? 

While there may be more than one route to Yellowstone, not once does Jesus tell us that all roads lead to heaven. Don’t fall for that we’re all going to the same place but taking different roads line. And don’t be thinking that you can find a short-cut. There is only one way to the Father and that is through the Son.


To its shame, Christian history reveals unrelieved attempts to improve on the way of Christ.*


No comments:

Post a Comment