Friday, May 5, 2023

May 5, 2023


Luke 14: 16-20 “A . . . man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. . . . he sent his servants to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, . . . everything is now ready.’ But they all . . . began to make excuses. . . . ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. . . .’ . . . ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. . . .’ . . . ‘I just got married . . .’” (NIV)


Ours is so often a self-imposed busyness.*


Jesus said the people in this parable were making excuses, not presenting reasons, for why they couldn’t attend the banquet. The point of this parable had nothing to do with excuses versus reasons, but it certainly provides a good illustration. Look at what each of them said: 

· Excuse: “I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it.” First of all, did he not go look at it before he bought it? And second, would it not still be there after dinner? Reason: I do not want to attend your banquet. 
· Excuse: “I have just bought . . . oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out.” Maybe this fellow had actually seen the oxen before he purchased them, but now he can’t wait to try them out. We’re supposed to believe that he would rather go plow a field than to attend the banquet? Reason: I do not want to attend your banquet. 
· Excuse: “I just got married.” This sounds like it could possibly qualify as a reason rather than an excuse, but Jesus said they made excuses so presumably the wedding did not take place within the past few minutes. Reason: I do not want to attend your banquet. 

As a Christian, you should know the difference between excuses and reasons. If you are trying to avoid commitment, it’s probably an excuse. If you make a list, it will probably be composed of excuses. If you can’t just say, “I don’t want to,” you will make excuses. But not everything we are asked to do is an obligation – or even the right thing to do. In those instances, why make excuses? Feel free to offer your reasons. But stay tuned to the Holy Spirit because when God calls you, there is no excuse or reason for turning him down.


As it turns out . . . those weren’t reasons to say no, they were reasons I was afraid.*


1 comment: